So, we had our second class on Monday evening. It was a good class that we started out with a video. We were learning more about the birthing experience and the video was showing from a diagram what dialation looks like and effacing. Then BOOM! out of nowhere comes a live birth and then pushing out the placenta! They don't warn you at all that the real thing is coming. The birth of the baby wasn't so bad but the placenta part was nasty!! I had never seen that so it was quite shocking, but good to know I guess. That part of the video was only like 30-40 seconds long but it felt like an eternity. Anyway, I'm glad to know all of that I guess, I'll only be more prepared.
Next week will be Neil and I's last class because we are going to be out of town on vacation during the real last one. We get a tour of the hospital and labor rooms so that will be nice. I'm not as excited to see all of that as probably most people because I've already seen it all! For my job I have to do hospital visits and I go to see a lot of newborn babies. Many of them are born at Women's Hospital so I've had to go there many times. I also make sure each time I do those visits that I ask as many questions as I can get away with to prepare myself. It's fun that I get paid to learn about childbirth!
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That would be the point in the class where I just started crying and saying "I don't want to DO that!!!" Since I was already in preterm labor, I knew there was pretty much no getting out of it though. And it was not nearly as bad as I expected- once the epidural was in place, of course!! :)
The worst conversation I have ever been party to is one on how some people choose to take the placenta home and eat it, and how they prepare it. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.
Ohhh my gosh- I was reading the other comments and laughing. You're story cracked me up. Jason & I rented an old birthing movie from the library before Noah's birth. We were eating dinner while watching it, actually. All the of the sudden, yup, birth canal, then "out" of the birth canal...we were not eating any more after that part. We both just went, "Aghhhh. Not necessary"
Fun times. :)
You really ought to read the book, "Husband-directed childbirth". Seth and I found it very helpful during both the birth of the twins, and #3 as well! check out this article: http://www.bradleybirth.com/WIHCC.aspx
Good luck!! Kristi Thomas
Post a Comment